Newcastle Council Housing Disrepair

Newcastle Council Housing Disrepair: What Are My Rights?

home disrepair? Know your rights & get repairs!

Are you a council tenant in Newcastle upon Tyne dealing with disrepair problems in your home? It can be a frustrating and even dangerous situation. Unfortunately, it’s not an uncommon occurrence. But it’s important to remember that you have rights!

This article will help you understand your rights as a council housing tenant. We’ll cover what disrepair is, your landlord’s responsibilities, how to report disrepair issues, and the steps you can take if problems aren’t fixed. We’ll also discuss ways to seek compensation if you’ve been affected by disrepair.

What Does “Disrepair” Actually Mean?

Let’s start by getting clear on what housing disrepair means. In legal terms, disrepair refers to a property that has fallen below an acceptable standard of living. This can cover a wide range of problems, including:

  • Structural issues: Problems like dampness, mold, cracks in walls or ceilings, or unstable floors.
  • Heating and hot water problems: Faulty boilers, broken heating systems, or lack of hot water.
  • Electrical hazards: Dangerous or outdated wiring, faulty sockets, lighting problems.
  • Sanitation issues: Broken toilets, blocked drains, leaks, or pest infestations.
  • Safety hazards: Loose handrails, broken windows, or unsafe balconies.

Speak to An Expert About Your Claim

It’s Your Landlord’s Responsibility

Newcastle upon Tyne City Council, as your landlord, has a legal obligation to maintain your home and keep it in good repair. This is outlined in the Landlord and Tenant Act of 1985, and it’s there to protect you as a tenant.

Here’s what the council is required to do:

  • Carry out essential repairs within a reasonable timeframe.
  • Ensure your home is safe and fit to live in.
  • Keep installations (heating, plumbing, electrical) in proper working order.

Reporting Disrepair: The Steps to Take

If you notice disrepair issues, it’s crucial to report them to the council immediately. Here’s how to do it effectively:

Put it in writing: 

Contact the council’s housing repairs team in writing. Email is fine, but a formal letter is even better. Make sure to include your name, address, and contact details.

Be specific: 

Describe the disrepair problems in as much detail as possible. Include the location, how long the problems have been happening, and how they affect you.

Take photos: 

It’s a great idea to back up your claims with photos or videos as evidence. This will help the council understand the extent of the damage.

Keep records: 

Keep copies of all your letters, emails, and any responses from the council. Also keep a log of any phone calls you make about the issue.

Receive a Call About Your Claim

When the Council Does Not Act, What Can You Do?

Sadly, sometimes councils can be slow or reluctant to make repairs. If you’re facing significant delays or feel the council isn’t taking the issue seriously, don’t give up:

  • Escalate your complaint: Write to the council again, explaining your dissatisfaction and asking for immediate action. You may want to consider contacting your local councilor for further support.
  • Environmental Health: Contact your council’s Environmental Health department. They can assess your home and, if they find serious disrepair, may put pressure on the landlord to fix things.
  • Seek legal advice: Consider getting advice from legal specialists in housing disrepair. Citizens Advice or Shelter are charities that can provide guidance, or you could find a solicitor for more tailored advice.
  • Take the council to court: In some cases, taking the council to court might be necessary. A legal professional can advise you on whether you have a strong enough case.

Making a Housing Disrepair Claim with National Claims

At National Claims, we understand that living with housing disrepair can be incredibly stressful and can have a severe impact on your health and wellbeing. If your council landlord has failed to fix problems causing disrepair in your home, despite repeated requests, our team is here to help. We specialize in helping tenants navigate the housing disrepair claims process and secure the compensation they deserve.

Free Consultation

Let’s start with a free consultation to discuss the specifics of your case. We’ll listen to your experience and assess the extent of the disrepair in your home. This allows us to give you initial advice on whether you have grounds for a strong claim, especially considering your council landlord’s legal obligations.

*No Win, No Fee

National Claims believes that access to justice shouldn’t be limited by financial worry. For this reason, we operate on a “No Win, No Fee” basis. You won’t pay any upfront legal fees. Our fees are dependent on whether your claim is successful, allowing you to pursue your case without undue financial stress.

*Customers pay up to 25% (incl. VAT) of the amount recovered towards solicitor costs and if you cancel outside your cooling off period, you may be charged a fee.


Dealing with Newcastle upon Tyne council housing disrepair can be incredibly frustrating. However, it’s crucial to remember you don’t have to suffer in silence. Your landlord has a duty to keep your home safe and habitable. By understanding your rights and the steps you can take to enforce them, you can get necessary repairs done and possibly even secure compensation for any inconvenience or damage you’ve suffered due to disrepair.

Contact us today to speak to one of our claims specialists who will be able to help you get started on your claim.

Click below to see why we are one of the most trusted claims management companies in the UK.


We’re proud of our excellent customer reviews

We thrive on delivering exceptional service and ensuring our clients’ satisfaction. Don’t just take our word for it. Check out some of our independent reviews to see what our clients have to say.





Find out if you have a claim

Get free, no obligation help from a claim specialist.

Related News

Hassle-free claims process

Our expert panel of solicitors can typically confirm almost immediately whether your claims application is likely to be successful and also give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim for.