Sheffield Council Housing Disrepair: Know Your Rights

Living with damp and leaks? Know your rights!

Living in Sheffield and renting a council property should be a secure and comfortable experience. But what happens when your home develops problems that go beyond a squeaky floorboard? Sheffield Council housing disrepair is a more common issue than you might think, and it can significantly impact your health and well-being.

This guide will equip you with the knowledge you need to navigate Sheffield Council housing disrepair. We’ll explore what constitutes disrepair, how to report issues, your rights as a tenant, and the steps to take if the council fails to address the problems effectively. We will also highlight how you can start a housing disrepair claim.

Understanding Sheffield Council Housing Disrepair

Disrepair in council housing refers to any issues that render your property unsafe, unhealthy, or unfit for living. This can encompass a wide range of problems, including:

  • Leaky roofs causing damp and mould growth
  • Damaged windows or doors leading to draughts and heat loss
  • Faulty electrical wiring posing safety hazards
  • Broken plumbing resulting in water leaks or lack of hot water
  • Structural problems like cracks in walls or uneven floors

These issues not only make your home uncomfortable but can also have a detrimental impact on your health. Damp and mould can trigger respiratory problems, while inadequate heating can lead to hypothermia, especially for vulnerable individuals. Additionally, faulty electrics pose a serious fire risk.

Speak to An Expert About Your Claim

Reporting Sheffield Council Housing Disrepair: Taking Action

If you’re experiencing disrepair in your Sheffield council property, the first step is to report the issue directly to the council. Here’s how you can do it:


Sheffield City Council allows you to report disrepair issues online through their website. This is a convenient and efficient way to log your complaint. Be sure to provide a clear description of the problem, including its location and any potential health hazards it poses.


Alternatively, you can call the council’s Property Repairs Service (PRS) on 0114 273 4680. Explain the disrepair issue to the representative and request a surveyor visit to assess the problem.


You can also send an email to [email protected] outlining the disrepair and requesting action. Remember to include your contact details, tenancy agreement number, and a clear description of the problem.

When reporting disrepair, it’s crucial to keep records of your communication with the council. This includes copies of emails, phone call logs, and any reference numbers assigned to your complaint.

Your Rights as a Sheffield Council Tenant

As a council tenant in Sheffield, you have specific rights regarding the condition of your property. The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 stipulates that your landlord, in this case, Sheffield City Council, has a legal obligation to ensure your home meets the minimum standard of “fitness for human habitation.” This means the property should be:

  • Free from serious health hazards
  • In a reasonable state of repair
  • Structurally sound

If your council property falls short of these standards due to disrepair, you have the right to demand repairs and a safe living environment.

Receive a Call About Your Claim

Taking Further Action: When the Council Fails to Respond

Sometimes, despite reporting disrepair, the council may fail to address the issues effectively or within a reasonable timeframe. In such cases, you have options to escalate the matter:

Complain to Sheffield City Council: 

The council has a formal complaints procedure. If you’re unhappy with their response to your initial disrepair report, you can submit a formal complaint. This allows the council to investigate the matter further and potentially offer a revised solution.

Involve National Claims: 

We will connect you with a solicitor from our panel of solicitors who will be able assist you in your case. National Claims is a leading personal injury claims company that can assist you with navigating Sheffield Council housing disrepair.

Making a Housing Disrepair Claim with National Claims

Living with disrepair in your Sheffield council property shouldn’t be your reality. It can negatively impact your health and well-being, and frankly, it’s not fair. Here at National Claims, we understand the frustration and potential health risks associated with Sheffield Council housing disrepair. That’s why we’re here to help you take action and fight for the safe living environment you deserve.

Free Consultation: Understanding Your Options

The first step is to understand your legal standing. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation where you can speak with a dedicated member of our housing disrepair team. They’ll listen to the details of your situation, including the specific disrepair issues and any health problems you’ve experienced as a result.

Based on this information, they’ll assess whether you have a strong case for a housing disrepair claim and connect you with a solicitor who will be able to assess you better in your case.


Remember, you deserve to live in a safe and healthy environment. Don’t suffer in silence if you’re experiencing Sheffield Council housing disrepair. By understanding your rights, taking the proper steps to report issues, and seeking help if necessary, you can ensure your council property meets the standards for a comfortable and healthy home. If you’re unsure where to begin, National Claims is here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation and take control of your situation. Together, we can work towards getting the repairs you deserve and the compensation you may be entitled to.

Contact us today to speak to one of our agents who will be able to help you get started on your claim.

Click below to see why we are one of the most trusted claims management companies in the UK.


We’re proud of our excellent customer reviews

We thrive on delivering exceptional service and ensuring our clients’ satisfaction. Don’t just take our word for it. Check out some of our independent reviews to see what our clients have to say.





Find out if you have a claim

Get free, no obligation help from a claim specialist.

Related News

Hassle-free claims process

Our expert panel of solicitors can typically confirm almost immediately whether your claims application is likely to be successful and also give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim for.