a newly built red brick house on a cul de sac

Structural damage and disrepair to your property

If you own a property, you know how important it is to keep it in good condition. Structural damage and disrepair can be a major concern for property owners and renters, as it can cause safety hazards for tenants. In this article, we will explore what constitutes structural disrepair and major structural damage, as well as how you can claim compensation for any defects.

What is Structural Disrepair?

Structural disrepair refers to any damage or deterioration that affects the structural integrity of a property. This can include issues with the foundation, walls, roof, floors, or any other structural element. Some common signs of structural disrepair include cracks in walls or floors, sagging ceilings, leaning walls, and damp or mould issues.

It’s important to note that not all types of disrepair are considered structural. For example, cosmetic issues such as peeling paint or worn carpets would not be classified as structural disrepair.

What is Considered Major Structural Damage?

Major structural damage is any damage that poses a serious risk to the safety of the property or its occupants. This can include issues such as:

Subsidence: This occurs when the ground beneath the property sinks or shifts, causing the foundation to become unstable.

Bowing or bulging walls: This can be caused by a number of factors, including foundation issues, water damage, or poor construction.

Roof damage: Damage to the roof can cause leaks, which can lead to further damage to the property.

Structural cracks: Cracks in the foundation or walls can indicate serious structural issues.

It’s important to address any major structural damage as soon as possible, as it can pose a serious safety risk and can be expensive to repair.

How Do I Claim Compensation for Structural Defects?

If you believe that your property has suffered from structural defects, you may be entitled to compensation. The first step is to have a professional surveyor assess the property to determine the extent of the damage.

If the survey reveals that the damage is the result of poor construction, you may be able to make a claim against the builder or contractor responsible. If the damage is the result of natural causes, such as subsidence, you may be able to claim compensation from your insurance company.

In some cases, you may also be able to claim compensation from the previous owner of the property, if they knew about the structural defects but failed to disclose them.

It’s important to note that the process of claiming compensation for structural defects can be complex, and it’s recommended that you seek the guidance from National Claims.

Following these steps, it is important to contact National Claims to be put in contact with our claims specialists. We will then help guide you through the claims process.

Can My Landlord Evict Me if I Bring a Claim?

If you are renting a property and you believe that there are structural issues that need to be addressed, you may be worried about the consequences of bringing a claim against your landlord. It’s important to note that your landlord cannot legally evict you for making a complaint or bringing a claim regarding the condition of the property.

The law provides tenants with certain rights and protections, including the right to live in a safe and habitable property. If you have concerns about the condition of your rental property, it’s important to speak with your landlord or property manager and raise these concerns in writing.

If your landlord fails to address the issues, you may be able to take legal action or seek the guidance from National Claims.

Tenants Responsibilities to Structural and Exterior Repairs

As a tenant, it’s important to understand your responsibilities when it comes to structural and exterior repairs. Generally, the landlord is responsible for maintaining the structure and exterior of the property, while the tenant is responsible for maintaining the interior.

However, tenants have a responsibility to report any issues to the landlord as soon as possible. This includes any signs of structural damage or disrepair. Failing to report these issues can result in further damage to the property and may impact your ability to claim compensation.

It’s important to keep in mind that if you cause damage to the property through neglect or misuse, you may be responsible for the cost of repairs. It’s also important to follow any maintenance guidelines provided by the landlord or property manager, such as properly ventilating the property to prevent damp or mould.

In general, tenants should take a proactive approach to reporting any issues and working with their landlord to address any concerns regarding the condition of the property.

house under construction


In conclusion, structural damage and disrepair can be a serious concern for property owners. It’s important to address any issues as soon as possible to ensure the safety of the property and its occupants. If you believe that your property has suffered from structural defects, it’s recommended that you seek the guidance of a professional surveyor and National Claims to determine your options for claiming compensation.
Contact National Claims today to be able to start your housing disrepair claim.

Note: You can only make a claim if you are currently living in social housing.

Click below to see why we are one of the most trusted claims management companies in the UK.



Find out if you have a claim

Get free, no obligation advice from claims specialists.

Related News

Hassle-free claims process

Our expert panel of solicitors can typically confirm almost immediately whether your claims application is likely to be successful and also give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim for.