A block of flats in the distance surrounded by trees

The Rise of Housing Disrepair Claims Against Councils

Learn more as to why more people are claiming against their councils for their housing disrepair and find out how you can too

In recent years, an alarming trend has emerged across the UK – a surge in housing disrepair claims against councils. Many people living in council-owned properties have been facing deteriorating living conditions, with issues ranging from damp and mould-infested walls to faulty plumbing and electrical hazards. As the conditions of these properties continue to decline, frustrated tenants are seeking legal redress, demanding that their local councils take responsibility for the poor state of their homes. We will help explain the claims process and how to start your housing disrepair claim against your council. 

The Poor State of Council Housing

Council housing has been a cornerstone of the UK’s social welfare system, providing affordable accommodation to millions of people. However, over the years, these properties have fallen victim to neglect and underinvestment. Budget constraints have left councils struggling to keep up with the increasing demands for repairs and maintenance, resulting in a growing number of properties left in a state of disrepair.

In many instances, tenants have reported persistent issues such as leaking roofs, broken heating systems, and malfunctioning electrical wiring. The lack of proper insulation has led to problems with dampness and mould, causing health issues for vulnerable residents. Inadequate security measures have also made some properties targets for crime, leaving tenants feeling unsafe and unprotected.

Can I Claim Against the Council for Disrepair?

For tenants living in council-owned properties, seeking compensation for housing disrepair is becoming a more frequent course of action. Many people are unaware of their rights and the options available to them when it comes to addressing property disrepair issues. So, can you claim against the council for disrepair? The answer is yes.

The UK law mandates that local councils have a duty to maintain their properties and ensure they meet the required standards of safety and habitability. When a council fails to carry out necessary repairs within a reasonable timeframe, tenants have the right to take legal action. This often involves making a housing disrepair claim against the council.

To initiate a claim, the first step is to report the disrepair issues to your local council. They should provide you with a reasonable opportunity to resolve the problem. If they fail to take action or their response is unsatisfactory, you can proceed with a formal complaint and begin the claims process.

The Claims Process

The process of making a housing disrepair claim can be daunting, but it is essential to hold the council accountable for their negligence. Seeking legal guidance from us at National Claims, where we have experience in housing disrepair claims can be incredibly helpful during this time.

Once you’ve engaged with us, we will assess the extent of the disrepair and gather evidence to support your claim. This evidence may include photographs, expert reports, and statements from medical professionals if health issues have arisen due to the disrepair.

The Impact of Housing Disrepair Claims

The rise of housing disrepair claims against councils has had a significant impact on both local authorities and tenants. For councils, an increase in claims means diverting already stretched budgets towards settling disputes and carrying out necessary repairs. This can put additional strain on the council’s financial resources, affecting their ability to address other pressing community needs.

On the other hand, for tenants, pursuing a disrepair claim can be a lengthy and emotionally taxing process. Living in a property with disrepair issues already takes a toll on their well-being, and the added stress of navigating the claims process can be overwhelming. We at National Claims make this process as stress-free as possible for the tenants, as the stress of living in poor conditions whilst the council fail to repair homes is already more than enough for someone to go through.

Making a Housing Disrepair Claim

If you find yourself living in a council-owned property that is in disrepair, taking action to address the issues is essential. Here are the steps you can take to make a housing disrepair claim against your local council:

Report the Disrepair

The first step is to notify your local council of the disrepair issues affecting your property. This can usually be done through their housing department or by submitting a formal complaint. Make sure to provide clear details about the problems you’re experiencing and any attempts you’ve made to get them resolved in the past.

Seek Legal Guidance

Consulting with National Claims, where we specialise in housing disrepair claims can greatly benefit your case. We will help you understand your rights, assess the extent of the disrepair, and guide you through the entire claims process.

Gather Evidence

To strengthen your claim, gather as much evidence as possible to support your case. Take photographs of the disrepair, keep a record of any correspondence with the council, and obtain expert reports if necessary. If you or your family members have suffered health issues due to the disrepair, obtain medical statements linking the problems to the poor living conditions.

Present the Claim

We will help you draft and present the housing disrepair claim to the council. This claim will outline the issues, the evidence gathered, and the compensation or remedy you are seeking. The council will then have the opportunity to respond.

Ealing council offices


The rise of housing disrepair claims against councils reflects the dire state of many council-owned properties across the UK. For tenants living in these substandard conditions, seeking legal redress through housing disrepair claims has become a means of demanding accountability from local authorities.

However, it is crucial to remember that addressing the issue of housing disrepair goes beyond individual claims. It requires a collective effort from local councils, government bodies, and society as a whole to prioritize the well-being of those living in social housing. Adequate funding, proactive maintenance, and improved housing standards are essential to ensure that council-owned properties offer safe and comfortable living conditions to their residents.

As tenants continue to fight for their rights, it is our responsibility to advocate for better social housing policies and to create a society where everyone has access to a decent and secure place to call home. Only through a collaborative approach can we truly address the root causes of the rise in housing disrepair claims against councils and work towards a better housing future for all.

Contact us today to start your claim and to understand how we deal with housing disrepair claims. 

Click below to see why we are one of the most trusted claims management companies in the UK.


We’re proud of our excellent customer reviews

We thrive on delivering exceptional service and ensuring our clients’ satisfaction. Don’t just take our word for it. Check out some of our independent reviews to see what our clients have to say.





Find out if you have a claim

Get free, no obligation help from a claim specialist.

Related News

Hassle-free claims process

Our expert panel of solicitors can typically confirm almost immediately whether your claims application is likely to be successful and also give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim for.