Call us FREE today

0800 029 3849

A block of council flats lit up at night

What is involved in a council house disrepair claim

Find out how to claim against your council for poor living conditions.

If you are a council tenant, it is the local council’s responsibility to ensure that your property is maintained to a safe and habitable standard. However, if your council house has fallen into disrepair, and the council has failed to take action despite being informed of the issue, then you may be entitled to make a disrepair claim.

What is classed as housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair refers to any defects or problems within a property that affects its habitability, safety, or comfort. These can include issues such as damp and mould, leaking roofs or pipes, faulty heating systems, or defective electrical wiring. In general, any problem that poses a risk to the health or safety of the occupants, or which significantly impacts their quality of life, should be considered as housing disrepair.

What is an example of housing disrepair?

An example of housing disrepair could be a tenant who notices damp and mould on their walls, which can cause respiratory issues and exacerbate existing conditions such as asthma. If the council fails to address the issue despite being notified of it, the tenant may be able to make a disrepair claim

Another example could be a tenant who is without heating or hot water for an extended period of time, particularly during the colder months, due to a faulty boiler. This could also be considered housing disrepair, and the tenant may be entitled to compensation.

What is considered ‘unlivable conditions’ in the UK?

Unliveable conditions in the UK typically refer to situations where a property is so unsafe or uninhabitable that it is no longer suitable for human habitation. This could include issues such as severe structural damage, widespread damp and mould, or dangerous electrical wiring. In such cases, the local council has a duty to take action to ensure that the property is made safe and habitable, or to rehouse the tenant if necessary.

When it comes to making a council house disrepair claim, there are several important factors to consider. Firstly, it is essential to report any issues to the council as soon as possible, and to keep a record of all correspondence and attempts to resolve the problem. This will help to establish a paper trail and demonstrate that you have taken reasonable steps to resolve the issue.

Once you have reported the problem, the council should arrange for an inspection to be carried out, and will then determine whether the issue constitutes housing disrepair. If the council accepts responsibility for the disrepair, they will typically arrange for repairs to be carried out, or offer compensation to the tenant.

However, if the council disputes the claim, or fails to take action despite being notified of the issue, then the tenant may need to consider legal action. This will typically involve seeking the guidance of National Claims, where we specialise in helping with housing disrepair claims.

We will be able to weigh up the strength of your claim and the likely outcome, as well as handling the legal aspects of the case. How much compensation for housing disrepair.

How much compensation for housing disrepair?

If you’re wondering about the compensation you may be eligible for regarding your housing disrepair, we recommend filling out one of our claim forms available on our website.


Council house disrepair claims can be a stressful and frustrating experience for tenants. However, it is important to remember that the council has a legal duty to ensure that your property is safe and habitable, and if they fail to meet this responsibility, then you may be entitled to compensation. We will work our hardest to make sure this experience is as stress-free as possible.

By taking the appropriate steps, such as reporting any issues to the council and seeking the guidance of one of our claims specialists, you can increase your chances of success and hold the council to account. This not only benefits you as a tenant but can also help to ensure that other council tenants have access to safe and habitable housing.

If you believe that your council house is in disrepair, do not hesitate to take action. With the right support and guidance, you can achieve a successful outcome and enjoy a safe and comfortable home.

Contact us today to be put in touch with one of our claims specialists, who will walk you through the claims process.

Click below to see why we are one of the most trusted claims management companies in the UK.



Find out if you have a claim

Get free, no obligation help from a claim specialist.

Related News

Hassle-free claims process

Our expert panel of solicitors can typically confirm almost immediately whether your claims application is likely to be successful and also give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim for.